So here’s something else that’s good from that excellent city – ‘A Good Soup from Leeds’, taken from Joan Poulson’s book, ‘Old Yorkshire Recipes’.
It is particularly good if you are vegetarian, as there’s no meat in it.
- 2 oz (55g) butter
- 2 oz (55g) lentils
- 3 pints of light stock
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 oz (28g) pearl barley
- 8 oz (225g) carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- A pinch of sugar
- Fresh chopped parsley, or ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Melt the butter in a pan and saute the chopped onions until golden
- Add the carrots to the onions and butter; stir the mixture over a low heat for a few minutes
- Add the stock and all the other ingredients. Season well.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 1½ hours.
- Add parsley 10 minutes before serving.
Source: Joan Poulson (1974) Old Yorkshire Recipes’. Hendon Publishing Co.