This being Yorkshire, ‘Huddersfield Hare’, is not hare at all, but the more plentiful beef – cooked to taste like hare!
- 1lb (450g) stewing beef, cut into strips, and sprinkled with black pepper
- two sticks of celery, chopped
- Handful of mushrooms (around 4-6oz/ 113-17og), sliced
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- One onion, studded with 3-4 cloves
- Fry beef quickly to brown it
- Put all the ingredients together in a casserole dish
- Add beef stock
- Cook in a slow oven for 2 hours
Source: adapted from Dulcie Lewis’s book, Not Just Yorkshire Pudding! The Story of Yorkshire’s Food and Drink’ (2006) Countryside Books, p.88.