Here’s a hearty cottage soup from the Dalesman. It’s easy. You can prepare and just leave this to slowly cook for four hours (the rice is added for the final hour).
- ½ lb (80z/225g) shin of beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 tomato
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 oz (28g) rice
- 2 pints cold water
- Salt & pepper
- Cut beef into small pieces and place in a casserole dish
- Prepare and shred vegetables and add to meat
- Add water and seasoning
- Close casserole dish and put into a moderate oven for 3 hours
- Add rice and cook for another hour
Source: Dalesman. January 2011. p.62.