This makes a refreshing summer drink, with the main ingredient – elderflowers – on your doorstep and free for the picking.
- 7 heads of elderflower
- 8 pints of cold water
- 20 oz (560g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 lemons
- Boil the water , pour over the sugar and leave to cool.
- When cold, add in the washed elderflower heads, sliced lemons and white wine vinegar
- Allow to stand for 24 hours
- Strain and bottle in strong wine bottles. Cork well — it’s fizzy! Important Safety note – don’t use ordinary wine bottles, or plastic bottles, as they are likely to explode! Use strong champagne-style bottles that will withstand the fermentation pressure; get advice from a wine or beer making supplier if you are unsure.
Source: Marjorie Ashdown of Ilkley. This was one of her mother’s recipe.