Raisin Tart. This regional recipe dates back to 1915 and is delicious warm or cold. The combination of raisins and lemon work well together, giving a perfect balance between sharpness and sweet. Easy to make, too. What’s not to like?
- Shortcrust pastry to line a flan tin
- 4 oz (113 g) raisins
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz (113 g) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Grease the flan tin and line with pastry. Prick the base all over
- Bake the pastry case in a moderate oven for 5 minutes or so
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by beating the eggs with most of the sugar, raisins, and lemon juice
- Add the filling to the baked pastry case
- Mix the lemon zest with remaining sugar and sprinkle on top
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a moderate oven.
Source: Ann C. Johnson, Old Recipes of Yorkshire (no date) Age Concern Knaresborough.