This is a recipe from the Yorkshire Dales for cooking a thick steak slowly and tenderly.
- 1 lb (450g) beef steak, left whole or cut into two. Steak should be about 1.5” thick
- 2 oz (55g) butter
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pint (550 ml/20 fl oz) beef stock
- Salt & pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- Score steak with a sharp knife and rub parsley and onions into cuts. Leave for an hour.
- Then season and fry the meat in butter until well browned
- Put steak into a wide casserole dish, add stock and simmer in a slow oven for about 2 hours
Source: Dalesman October 2010. p.36