This is a recipe taken from a 1924 recipe book produced by Keighley Parish Church for their bazaar of the same year.
The word, ‘gingerbread’ is a misnomer though, as there is no ginger shown in the recipe! But it does produce a light, crumbly and very more-ish sponge with a pleasant citrus tang to it.
- 4 oz (113g) butter
- 4 oz (113g) soft brown sugar
- 8 oz (225g) plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 oranges – rind and juice
- Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 4 oz (113g) Golden Syrup
- Cream the butter and the sugar
- Add the egg gradually, mixing it alternatively with the flour
- Add the rind and juice of the oranges
- Add the soda mixed with syrup
- Mix together and pour into a shallow greased tin
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes in a moderate oven until golden and firm to touch