Vegetable Charlotte is a thrifty recipe from the Dales and is a great way of using left-over vegetables. It can make a tasty meal on its own or as an accompaniment to a meat dish.
- Around 4 oz (113g) breadcrumbs
- 6 large, thin slices of bread spread sparingly with butter
- 4 oz (113g) grated cheese
- 3 small cooked and diced potatoes
- 4 cooked and diced carrots
- Half a pint (10 fl oz) white sauce
- 1 egg
- 8 oz (225g) cooked peas
- 2 cooked and sliced onions
- Any other cooked and diced vegetables you have to use up
- Grease a casserole dish and coat with bread crumbs
- Line the dish closely and evenly with the slices of bread, buttered sides turned into the greased sides of the dish; keep some slices back to make a lid
- Beat the egg and stir it into the sauce
- Mix the vegetables and cheese into the sauce
- Fill the lined mould with the sauce and vegetable mixture and cap it with the remaining slices of bread
- Bake in a moderate oven for 25-30 minutes until the bread is brown and crisp
- Loosen the sides with a knife and turn it out onto a dish.
Source: Mrs Appleby. Traditional Yorkshire Recipes (1982). Dalesman Publishing.