Festivity Soup is a filling crowd-pleaser of a soup, with cream and sherry optionally added to give it a richer flavour.
- 1lb (450g) potatoes
- 12 oz (340g) carrots
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 oz (50g) butter
- 1 dessertspoon of sugar
- a little nutmeg
- 2 pints (40 fl oz) vegetable stock or water
- 3 tablespoons of cream (optional)
- Sherry to flavour (optional)
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters
- Peel the carrots and cut into slices
- Peel and slice the onions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook until soft but not browned
- Add the carrots, potatoes, sugar and salt
- Add the stock and cook gently until the vegetables are soft
- When cooked, rub through a sieve, or reduce them in an electric blender, and return them to the pan
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, adding a pinch of nutmeg. Reheat.
- The optional cream, sherry and freshly chopped parsley can be added just before serving
Source: Mrs Appleby. Traditional Yorkshire Recipes (1987) Dalesman Books.