Rhubarb again! No apologies. This Rhubarb and Ginger Fool is a traditional and very delicious use of our lovely Yorkshire rhubarb. It works best with the early bright pink variety, but don’t worry if you haven’t got any; just use what you have in your garden and allotment.
- 1lb 5 oz (600g) rhubarb
- 3 oz (75g) light brown sugar
- 8 oz (225g) whipping cream
- 4-5 pieces of stem ginger without its syrup
- Trim the leaves and bases of the rhubarb stalks, wash them, and cut into 1 inch lengths.
- Place in an ovenproof dish, add the sugar, cover and bake for 30 – 40 minutes in a slow oven (gas mark 3/170C/325F). Allow to cool.
- Chop the ginger and add to the rhubarb
- Whip the cream until thick, but not stiff, and fold into the rhubarb and ginger mixture.
- Serve chilled.
Source: Laura Mason. Farmhouse Cookery (Yorkshire). Published 2005 by National Trust Enterprises.