Here’s a regional recipe, using oatmeal. They make a sweet, plain biscuit on their own, but you can add your own personal flavour twist to it, if you like.
- 5 oz (140g) self raising flour
- 5 oz (140g) oatmeal
- 3oz (85g) sugar
- 3 oz (85g)margarine
- Pinch of salt
- Milk to mix
- Mix dry ingredients
- Rub in margarine
- Add milk to make a stiff dough
- Roll out thinly and cut into rounds
- Place on greased baking trays
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 mins.
Flavourings of your choice can be added, e.g. ground almonds; almond or vanilla essence; powdered ginger; chopped glacé cherries etc.
Source: Marjorie Ashdown of Ilkley. This was one of her mother’s recipe.