Wharfedale Orange Tart can be enjoyed hot, as a dessert, with cream or custard, or cold as a teatime treat. The orange and almonds complement each other to give a substantial filling and a flavour not dissimilar to a Bakewell Tart.
For the pastry:
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 113g (4 oz) butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
For the filling
- 225g (8 oz) ground almonds
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
- 113g (4 oz) castor sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Make the pastry, leave to rest a while in a cool place, and later line a flan tin with it
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and bake in the pastry case in a pre-heated oven at 220C/425F/gas mark 7) for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 180C,/350F/gas mark 4 for a further 25 minutes.
Source: Theodora Fitzgibbon, A Taste of Yorkshire in Food and Pictures (1979) Pan Books. ISBN 0330257137