Here’s recipe from Mike Armstrong (‘Baker Mike’) who writes the popular ‘Friend in Knead’ baking column in the West Yorkshire Keighley News. Mike describes this as ‘a perfect Yorkshire quick bread’. This full-flavoured bread is best eaten on the day it is made.
- 1 lb 2 oz (500g) plain or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon (10 g) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large crunchy green apples coarsely chopped with skin
- 7 oz (200g) grated Wensleydale cheese
- 1 jar (300g) mango chutney
- Half a pint/ 10 fl oz /300 ml buttermilk or milk (or sour cream or plain yogurt)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, baking powder, grated cheese and chutney, combine all well
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chutney and buttermilk to form a soft dough
- Lightly knead on a worktop with a little flour. Shape into a large ball and place onto a well-greased baking tray
- Pat down and shape to the size of a dinner plate and score a cross halfway through the dough with a sharp knife
- Bake in a preheated hot oven 200c / Gas Mark 7 for around 30 minutes till golden brown and well risen.
Source: Read Mike Armstrong’s baking articles at Friend in Knead